This capitalist crisis threatens mass unemployment and poverty for millions. Young people will be particularly hard hit. Unemployment among 18-24 year olds could hit a million by the end of 2020. But this is not inevitable. Make big business pay – not young people with our future. We fight for:
- Opposition to all job cuts! To defend workers’ jobs and income, any company that declares redundancies or plant closures should be nationalised under democratic workers’ control and management, with compensation to be paid to the former owners only on the basis of proven need. Open the books of companies threatening job cuts and closures to trade union scrutiny to plan how jobs and income can be protected.
- No to poverty pay! Trade union struggle for an immediate increase in the minimum wage to £12 an hour without exemptions as a step towards a real living wage of at least £15 an hour. Abolish youth rates with immediate effect. Link wages to the cost of living.
- For job security and rights at work. Scrap zero-hour contracts and end the super-exploitation of the gig economy. All workers to have trade union rates of pay, employment protection, and sickness and holiday rights from day one of employment.
- Increase benefits to the level of the national minimum wage, with no youth rates or delays in payment.
- No to bogus apprenticeships or training schemes. For a decent job guaranteed for all at the end of training.
- The right to a job for all. We fight for a massive government programme of investment in socially useful job creation, with trade union rates of pay, secure and stable hours, and with free training schemes for skilled work. Share out the work with no loss of pay.
- A socialist green new deal! A programme of mass public works based on investment and research in green and renewable energy. For democratic workers’ control and trade union oversight of the transition to an environmentally sustainable economy, with green jobs and training available to all workers currently employed in the fossil fuel industry.
- For trade union oversight and democratic members’ control of any public works, job creation programmes and youth training schemes to guarantee decent pay and conditions for all.
- Take the wealth off the 1%. Introduce an immediate 50% levy on the hoarded wealth of big business. Instead of bailing out big business with billions of pounds of taxpayers’ money, we fight for a socialist government to take into public ownership the top 125 companies and the banking system that dominate the British economy, and run them under democratic working-class control and management. Compensation to be paid only on the basis of proven need. This is a step towards a democratic socialist plan for the economy based on meeting need – not prioritising big business profit.